Planning & Development

Planning and Development is the department of City government that administers construction, development and land use within the City. You will find the different functions managed by the different divisions of Planning and Development. The following are the major divisions within the department.

City Planning

The City Planning Division is responsible for administering Title 16 of Vernal City Code (the City's land use ordinance) and the General Plan. If you want to know what zone a property is in and what is allowed in that zone, this is the place to look. Also, certain types of construction or development require a master site plan and/or a conditional use permit.


The Building Division handles building permits. Permits are required for most types of new construction and also for many types of reconstruction or remodels. This includes fences and roof replacements.

Business License

The Business License Division handles Business licenses and determines if businesses are operating within applicable laws and ordinances; to maintain a safe environment for the general public; and to assure that zoning, building, and fire codes are enforced. A valid Vernal City business license is required for all businesses that are located within the Vernal City corporation limits.  

Code Enforcement

The Code Enforcement Division ensures compliance with the City's zoning ordinance as well as the nuisance ordinance. If you have concerns about weeds, junk or abandoned vehicles on a property, contact this division. Snow removal from sidewalks and placement of temporary signs (such as yard sale signs) are also handled here.


There are a number of different areas represented by the Engineering Division. Floodplain management deals with the Federal Emergency Management Administration (FEMA) designated floodplains. Infrastructure addresses construction or modification to City owned infrastructure (such as new sewer lines, water lines or roads). You will need to contact this division if you need to do any work in the public roads. Storm Water deals specifically with the Federal Government's requirements for controlling pollution from storm water runoff.

Hearing Officer

The Appeals and Variances Hearing Officer is responsible for appeals of land use decisions and requests for variances.


Annual Review of the General Plan Housing Element - 2020  2019